Marie M. Stringer
Carl N. Weiner co-chairs the Real Estate Group of Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin. For over two decades, he has handled an enormous array of real estate law matters for Delaware Valley clients, ranging from zoning and land development to real-estate financing and acquisition. He is widely regarded as one of the area’s leading attorneys in association law, based on his work in the development of over 150 condominium and homeowners’ associations and ongoing representation of numerous associations.
Carl acquired his extensive experience in zoning litigation from numerous successful appearances before zoning hearing boards and appellate arguments. He has a reputation for effectively handling zoning cases and subdivision and land-development applications in a majority of townships and boroughs throughout Bucks and Montgomery Counties. Carl has obtained substantial recovery for landowners in eminent domain cases and has successfully represented municipal entities in defending eminent domain claims. Carl has represented developers, commercial landowners and banks with respect to the acquisition and financing of commercial properties held for future development. He is also known for his work structuring multimillion-dollar real-estate acquisitions with innovative contingencies for financing, land development and zoning approvals.
A frequent lecturer for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Community Associations Institute and the Montgomery Bar Association (MBA), Carl currently serves on the Montgomery Bar Foundation Board of Directors and is a past Chairman of the MBA’s Specialization Committee and Real Estate Land Use Committee. He is also a past President of the Pennsylvania/Greater Delaware Valley Chapter of the Community Associations Institute. Carl is past President of the Montgomery County Big Brothers/Big Sisters Association. Since 2009, Carl has served multiple terms as Chair of the Pennsylvania Legislative Action Committee of the Community Associations Institute. Before joining the firm in 1984, he served as a law clerk to The Honorable Stanley M. Greenberg of the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia. A graduate of Boston University School of Law, Carl received his undergraduate degree from Brown University.
- Association Law
- Real Estate
- Zoning and Land Use
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts, (J.D.)
- Brown University, (B.A.)
- Seminar Speaker, Upper Providence Township Staff Meeting; "Municipalities and Planned Communities"; December 14, 2016
- Seminar Speaker, Whitpain Township Planning Commission and Township Staff Meeting; "Municipalities and Planned Communities"; September 13, 2016
- Seminar co-presenter, Bucks County Planning Commission, Formation of Common Interest Communities, April 29, 2015
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar - Condominium and Homeowners' Associations: Litigating the Enforcement Case, November 2014
- Seminar Presenter, Formation of Common Interest Communities, Montgomery County Planning Commission, September 16, 2014
- Co-Presenter, Zoning Law, Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association Seminar, February 2014
- Speaker, Pennsylvania Land Title Institute; "Understanding Real Estate Interests in Condominiums and Planned Communities"; August 7, 2013
- Overview of Community Associations, Urban Affairs Committee of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, March 19, 2013
- Frequent Lecturer, Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar - How the Uniform Planned Community Act Really Works
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar - Condominium and Homeowners' Associations: Conflict and the Courts
- Pennsylvania Bar Institute Seminar - Condominium and Homeowners' Associations: A New Look at Development Issues
- Frequent Lecturer, Community Associations Institute
- Frequent Lecturer, Montgomery Bar Association
Professional and Civic Memberships
- College of Community Association Lawyers
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Past Chairman, Real Estate Land Use Committee
- Past Chairman, Specialization Committee
- Montgomery Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors
- Pennsylvania/Greater Delaware Valley Chapter of the Community Associations Institute
- Past President
- Pennsylvania Legislative Action Committee of the Community Associations Institute
- Past Chairman
- Montgomery County Big Brothers/Big Sisters Association
- Past President
- Tiferet Bet Israel of Blue Bell
- Past President
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in U.S. News and World Report’s Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018
- Community Associations Institute Robert H. Wise President’s Award
- Israel Bonds/Israel Peace Medal
Zoning and Land Development
- Successfully represented a township in defending a substantive challenge by a quarry owner seeking to expand an existing quarry into a residential district. Carl effectively demonstrated that, despite regulation by the Department of Environmental Protection, the quarry operations continued to adversely effect surrounding residences.
- Successfully resolved a significant curative-amendment challenge by a real-estate developer seeking to place mobile homes in a residential district zoned for one-acre lots. Carl presented an effective case on the negative impact on the local infrastructure from implementing this development project. Following a year of hearings, Carl was able to convince the township to approve smaller lot sizes for single-family homes.
- Successfully represented a major pharmaceutical company in opposing a zoning application by a radio-station owner to locate a 50,000-watt AM radio station near the company’s newly constructed research facilities. Through comprehensive research and extensive interviews with a variety of planners and radio experts, he convinced the zoning hearing board of the potential adverse impact of the radio station. After three years of hearings, the zoning board agreed with the facts Carl presented and denied the application.
Condominium and Homeowners’ Associations
- Created over 150 homeowners’ associations and condominium associations throughout Bucks and Montgomery Counties. He has represented numerous developers in establishing programs which enabled the smooth and effective transition of operations to newly created homeowners’ associations. He also has represented developers of condominium-conversion projects to effectively follow through on all rules and regulations required under the Pennsylvania Uniform Condominium Act.
- Represented various existing condominium and homeowners’ associations in reviewing and revising their operating declarations and by-laws to adhere to existing and newly enacted regulations.
- Participated in all aspects of the eminent-domain process in Pennsylvania, from the filing of a declaration of taking and posting of estimated just compensation to hearings before the board of view in jury trials.
- Successfully defended a township against charges of collusion with a developer whose land benefited from a condemnation for a sewage-treatment plant. Carl was able to demonstrate that the plant was being constructed for a public purpose, notwithstanding the incidental benefit to the developer.
- Obtained a substantial award from a Board of View for a landowner in a PennDOT condemnation of land for a by-pass off-ramp. Carl successfully demonstrated the impact of the taking on the development value of the property.
HRMM&L Hosts “Anatomy of a Commercial Real Estate Transaction”
March 26, 2017
BUILDER ALERT: Act 162 of 2016
November 19, 2016
Three Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2017 Best Lawyers in America
August 17, 2016
HRMM&L In Brief April 2016 Issue
March 31, 2016
Carl Weiner Granted Membership in College of Community Association Lawyers
December 4, 2015
Three Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2016 Best Lawyers in America
August 18, 2015
Land Use Alert: Shaffer v. Zoning Hearing Board of Chanceford Township
July 15, 2015
Carl N. Weiner Presents to Bucks County Planning Commission
May 5, 2015
Carl N. Weiner Presents to Joint Meeting of Senate Urban Affairs and House Committee and House Urban Affairs Committee
April 30, 2015
Carl Weiner Presents at PBI Seminar on Litigating Condominium & Homeowner Association Cases
December 8, 2014
Carl Weiner Presents Seminar to Montgomery County Planning Commission
September 30, 2014
Three HRMM&L Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2015 Best Lawyers in America
August 18, 2014
Attorneys McGrory, Kearney and Weiner Address Zoning Hearing Boards and Planning Commissions on Zoning Law
February 13, 2014
J. Edmund Mullin and Carl N. Weiner speak at Pennsylvania Land Title Institute Aug. 7, 2013
August 7, 2013
Carl Weiner Addresses PA House Urban Affairs Committee
March 18, 2013
Carl Weiner Speaks at PBI Seminar on: Condominium & Homeowner Associations – Lessons on Liabilities, Liens and Litigations
December 1, 2012
Carl Weiner Elected Chair of Pa. Legislative Action Committee
November 13, 2012
Carl N. Weiner Addresses Pa. Chapter of Community Associations Institute
February 27, 2012