Christen G. Pionzio is a Principal of the firm and a member of the Real Estate and Zoning Department at Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin. For the last 20 years, Christen has handled significant real estate, zoning, municipal, and land use matters on behalf of large corporate clients and private individuals. With respect to real estate transactions, Christen has facilitated land acquisition and development for commercial landowners, developers and private citizens by way of local, state and federal approvals and sophisticated financing. In addition, she also represents buyers and sellers of commercial real estate, providing cost-saving strategies and resolving obstacles in ways to keep the deal together.
Christen effectively obtains zoning relief and land use approvals for private developers to enable them to fully utilize and develop their property. She understands the process and constantly looks for opportunities to save her clients time and money. Christen is not only effective but efficient, and she thrives when handling highly controversial and publicized land use matters. Christen represents townships to protect their interests in matters, and advises zoning hearing board members as to how to apply the law to the zoning cases before them. She serves as Solicitor to Hatfield Township, West Norriton Township and the Borough of Hatboro and five local Zoning Hearing Boards in Bucks and Montgomery Counties. She has been appointed Master by the Court of Common Pleas in two partition actions.
Serving both sides of the table gives Christen the advantage of having the other’s perspective. She is a practical lawyer who can anticipate issues well in advance and solve problems before they arise. Christen is known for her knowledge of the law, her ability to form personal relationships, her sense of humor, charismatic energy, being well prepared and thinking fast on her feet. She invests herself in her clients’ problems and cares how they affect them from a business perspective and personally. Christen is tenacious and pays attention to detail while keeping her clients and consultant team focused on the ultimate goal.
Christen served on the Montgomery Bar Association’s Executive Committee for the year 2010 and served on its Board of Directors from 2010-2013. A member of the Real Estate/Land Use Committee and the Municipal Law Committee of the Montgomery Bar Association, she is also a member of the Pennsylvania and Bucks County Bar Associations. Christen is a founding member of the Irish-American Society and serves on its Board of Directors as Vice President. A graduate with honors from the University of Scranton (B.S. 1991), Christen received her law degree from Widener University School of Law (J.D. 1994).
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate
- Zoning and Land Use
- Widener University School of Law (J.D. 1994)
- University of Scranton (B.S. with honors, 1991)
- August 2013 – Christen presented “Ethics in Zoning and Land Use Law” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- December 2010 – Christen spoke at the Pennsylvania Convention Center on the topic of Presenting to a Zoning Hearing Board – Surveys are Tools, Know the Rules, Don’t Look Like a Fool for the annual Real Estate Institute series through the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
- January 2010 – Christen was invited to speak to newly elected municipal officials at a dinner held by Montgomery County Association of Township Officials on the topic of dealing with contentious public hearings and meetings and gave tips on dealing with the press.
- March 2009 – “Getting Approvals, a Solicitor’s Point of View” for the Montgomery Bar Association
- December 2008 – “Understanding Development Plans and Schedules” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- August 2007 – “Plans and Surveys: Tools for Lawyers” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- December 2006 – “Plans and Surveys: Tools for Lawyers” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- October 2006 – “Understanding Plans and Surveys” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- October 2005 – “When Do I Need Them and How Do I Read Them?” for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Montgomery County Bar Association Lectured on Residential Real Estate Transactions
- Bucks County Bar Association Lectured on Residential Real Estate Transactions
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Bucks County Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors
- Past Member, Executive Committee
- Member, Real Estate/Land Use Committee
- Member, Municipal Law Committee
- Irish-American Society
- Founding Member
- Vice President, Board of Directors
Honors and Awards
- Moe Levine Trial Advocacy Honor Society
- The International Legal Fraternity of Phi Delta Phi
Christen enjoys adventures with her 3 young children, running outdoors, weight training and taking various classes at her local YMCA in Doylestown.
- Chaired hearings and meetings for municipality and guided them through zoning changes for highly controversial hospital proposal which attracted hundreds.
- Obtained approvals and successfully closed deal for developer for 300+ unit development that faced 3 lawsuits, a sewer moratorium and skyrocketing costs.
- Responsible for the redevelopment of blighted properties with uses such as gas stations, drug stores, wine and spirit stores and McDonald’s Restaurants.