John Walko is a member of the firm’s Municipal Law, Real Estate Law, Medical Marijuana, and Criminal Defense departments. Although John assists with the firm’s array of municipal clients, John serves as the Solicitor for Narberth Borough, Solicitor to Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds, Deputy Solicitor for Upper Merion Township and West Vincent Township, and in the past has served as Assistant Solicitor to neighboring Bridgeport Borough. John’s practice also focuses on Association Law, where he assists condominium and homeowners’ associations, as well as developers, builders, and landowners, in the development and operation of such associations throughout the Delaware Valley. John is also the appointed Hearing Officer for the Abington Township Red Light Camera program.
John strives to obtain prompt, favorable and cost-effective results for the firm’s municipal, landowner, and developer clients, while providing competent, clear and comprehensive legal guidance throughout the process. In defending criminal clients, John understands that good people can make bad mistakes. As such, John has successfully represented clients charged with traffic violations, DUIs, narcotic violations, and other serious misdemeanor and felony crimes. John has consistently obtained excellent results for his criminal defense clients, including reduced charges, suppression of evidence, mitigated sentences, post-conviction relief, dismissals of all charges, and not guilty verdicts.
John started his legal career as an associate attorney for Hamburg Rubin. In 2008, John left the firm to become an Assistant District Attorney in the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office. While serving as a county prosecutor, John formed a reputation as an honest, skilled and prepared trial attorney. In 2011, he was promoted to Captain of Economic Crimes for Montgomery County, where he worked with federal, state and local law enforcement to investigate and prosecute complex, white collar, financial crimes. After leaving the District Attorney’s Office in 2013, John worked for a local law firm where he focused on personal injury, estate, and criminal defense matters. In 2014, John was voted “Best of MontCo” in The Times Herald newspaper in three separate categories, Criminal Defense, Personal Injury and Wills & Estates, before returning to Hamburg Rubin in November of 2014.
John was selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers Rising Stars Edition in the area of State, Local & Municipal Law for 2016. He received his law degree from Villanova Law School in 2007, where he received awards for his pro bono service, trial team, and moot court board participation. Prior to law school, John received his Masters and Associates degrees from Bryn Athyn College, and his Bachelor’s degree, summa cum laude, from West Virginia University in 2002. John is an active member of the Montgomery County and Pennsylvania Bar Associations. Originally a native of Western Pennsylvania, he now resides with his wife and family in Abington Township.
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
- Criminal Defense
- Zoning and Land Use
- West Virginia University (B.A., summa cum laude, 2002)
- Bryn Athyn College (A.A., 2000, M.A. 2003)
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- New Jersey
- Medical Marijuana Legislation Update, Co-Presenter, Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association, September 14, 2016.
- Pennsylvania’s Medical Marijuana Act, Presenter, Berks County Inns of Court, September 12, 2016.
- “‘Moran’ Decision Has Big Implications for Municipal Officials,” coauthor in The Legal Intelligencer, March 17, 2015. Link to article can be found here.
- “‘Moran’ Decision Has Big Implications for Municipal Officials,” coauthor in Pennsylvania Law Weekly, March 2015.
- Murder at the Commonwealth: An Overview of Criminal Homicide, CLE, in conjunction with the High School Mock Trial District Competition, Montgomery County Courthouse, February 2015.
- Regular presenter to schools, law enforcement, business organizations & community groups on crime prevention, financial crimes and computer crimes.
- Regular presenter to local high schools, colleges, and law schools on the topics of persuasive speech, courtroom conduct, and the judicial system.
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association, 2008-2013
- Montgomery County Child Advocacy, Board of Advisors, 2011-2013
- Bryn Athyn College / Academy of the New Church, Board of Trustees, 2012-2015
- Abington Health Foundation Business Council, Member
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers – Rising Stars Edition 2016
- Voted The Times Herald’s “Best of MontCo” for Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, and Wills & Estates
- 2010 and 2012 Commendations from the Montgomery County District Attorney for Homicide and Hit and Run Resulting in Death trials and convictions
- 2013 Recognition Award from the Abington Township Board of Commissioners and Police Department for his dedicated legal service to the community.
- Villanova Law Pro Bono Service Award Recipient (2007)
Three Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Present Medical Marijuana Legislation Update to Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association
September 22, 2016
Eight Hamburg, Rubin, Mullin, Maxwell & Lupin Attorneys Named to 2016 Super Lawyers List
May 17, 2016
John Walko Appointed Solicitor to Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds
January 22, 2016
Joe McGrory and John Walko Speak at Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association Luncheon
June 10, 2015
Firm Appointed Solicitor for Borough of Narberth, Montgomery County
April 13, 2015
Joe McGrory and John Walko Co-Author Article on Moran Decision
March 17, 2015
John Walko Presents CLE on Pennsylvania’s Criminal Homicide Laws
February 19, 2015
John F. Walko Joins Firm
December 15, 2014