Paul Mullin is a Principal of the firm and a member of the Real Estate and Land Use Department, the Municipal Law Department, and the Medical Marijuana Department. Paul has represented and advised public and private clients in all stages of real estate transactions, including subdivision and land development, zoning, and the regulatory permit approval process. Paul’s diverse client base and background give him the understanding of all perspectives of a real estate transaction which permits him to recognize and troubleshoot potential issues to best serve his clients.
Paul has represented a variety of corporate, individual, and municipal clients in zoning and land use proceedings governed by the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code in order to enable them to fully utilize their respective properties. Such representation has resulted in approvals and recommendations from not only the local governing bodies, zoning hearing boards, and planning commissions, but also state agencies involved in the development process, such as the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Paul’s representation has run the gamut from obtaining land development approvals for a national hotel chain to obtaining zoning relief for a municipal water tank to obtaining swimming pool variances for individuals.
Paul currently advises the firm’s clients on the ever changing stormwater management regulations. In particular, Paul has advised his clients on the post construction stormwater management (PCSM) plan regulations applicable to NPDES permits so that his clients can timely obtain Notices of Termination for such permits.
Paul also advises firm clients on liquor related matters, including obtaining and transferring liquor licenses, brewery start-ups, and license compliance. He has assisted his clients with inter-municipal liquor license transfers and regulatory changes related to the liquor industry.
In the area of municipal law, Paul currently serves as solicitor to Hatfield Township Municipal Authority, Horsham Water and Sewer Authority, and North Penn Water Authority and serves as special counsel to various municipal authorities and municipalities throughout the state. He has advised his respective boards on personnel, employment, condemnation, litigation, procurement and rate setting matters. He advises his boards on the Right-to-Know Law, Ethics Act, Sunshine Act and Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act. He has developed a niche in areas governed by the Pennsylvania Municipality Authorities Act, specifically sanitary sewer and water related matters. He has advised his respective boards on state and federal regulatory permitting, compliance, and enforcement matters and has assisted clients impacted by the Chesapeake Bay Initiative through negotiation of bilateral nutrient credit trading agreements to achieve compliance with Chesapeake Bay-related regulations.
In the area of medical marijuana, Paul has advised his clients on the land use and zoning regulations governing medical marijuana facilities. To that end, Paul has assisted his clients in obtaining zoning and land development approvals for both medical marijuana growing/ processing facilities and dispensaries. He has negotiated agreements of sale and leases to ensure compliance with the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Act and other applicable laws.
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate
- Zoning and Land Use
- Medical Marijuana
- Liquor Licensing
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D. 2002)
- University of Scranton (B.A. with honors, 1998)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- Canada Takes Steps to Legalize Recreational Marijuana; Will America Follow Suit? HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, June 22, 2018
- The Pennsylvania Department of Health Issues Permit Applications for Medical Marijuana Facilities, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, January 18, 2017
- So You Want to Open a Medical Marijuana Facility… Now What? Real Estate and Zoning Considerations for Medical Marijuana Facilities, HRMM&L Legal Spotlight, August 5, 2016
Paul has been published on multiple occasions in The Authority magazine on various topics, including personnel and litigation matters. Paul has spoken before several local agencies, including the Montgomery County Zoning Officers Association, on topics ranging from the application of new case law to the practice of zoning and land development to litigation and enforcement matters related thereto.
Professional and Civic Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Montgomery Bar Association
- Member, Real Estate/Land Use Committee
- Past Vice-Chair, Municipal Law Committee
- Hatfield Borough Zoning Hearing Board (member)
- Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Association
- Home Builders Association of Montgomery and Bucks Counties
Honors and Awards
- Paul has been named to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars List on numerous occasions. No more than 2.5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor.
Paul was born and raised in Montgomery County and currently lives in Hatfield Borough. Over the years, Paul has developed strong ties to the local community, except for its sports teams, as Paul is an avid Red Sox and Packers fan.
- Successfully appealed a zoning officer’s determination that a medical marijuana facility was not permitted in a municipal zoning district. Such success resulted in the client obtaining the necessary zoning approval to construct a growing/ processing facility.
- Negotiated various agreements between multiple Federal agencies and his municipal client relating to the agencies’ contamination of a public water supply and the recoupment of costs related thereto.
- Obtained land development and liquor licensing approvals for a start-up brewery.
- Obtained subdivision and land development approval for a municipal client for the expansion of its sanitary sewer treatment plant and obtained all regulatory permits, including those with the Department of Environmental Protection, related thereto.
PA Dept of Health Issues Permit Applications for Medical Marijuana Facilities
January 19, 2017
So You Want to Open a Medical Marijuana Facility… Now What? Real Estate and Zoning Considerations for Medical Marijuana Facilities
August 9, 2016
Three Attorneys Elected to Partnership
April 30, 2014
Eight Lawyers Selected as “Awesome Attorneys” by Suburban Life Magazine
January 1, 2013